Blog

Shop

Holidays

Writing Clipboard


I have been practically dancing through the school supply aisles. I just love buying brand new markers, notebooks, crayons, pencils and paint. I find all sorts of things that I didn’t even know I needed...


At Walmart, I found this clipboards for $1.44. I bought 5 of them to use in my Work on Writing area. I am setting up this area for kids to come and get their supplies, then they can go back to their desk to write or find a different spot in the room to work. Then, I got the idea to make a little writing clipboard for the kids to reference. Since I will be teaching kindergarten, I wanted something super simple for the beginning of the year. I used this great Alphabet Chart from Tammy at Live, Love, Laugh Everyday in Kindergarten. Click HERE to see her post and pick up the alphabet chart. Make sure you leave her a comment! : )


I attached the alphabet chart with clear contact paper from Mardel ($2.99 a roll.)

As the year goes on I will probably add more information to the writing clipboard, but for now I think the alphabet chart will be the most helpful. When I create a new reference page for the clipboard I will make sure and share : )

What types of supplies do you keep in your writing center?

I hope everyone had a great weekend! 

12 comments

  1. I love the idea of using contact paper to attach important stuff to the back of the clipboards so the kids can reference it! I never thought of that! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the contact paper for another craft I never did. So, I was excited to use it!

      Delete
  2. Great idea!

    Erica
    Sprinkles to Kindergarten
    erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this idea!! I've been trying to *avoid* those aisles! I have NO self control when it comes to school supplies! lol!
    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300
    Come check out my awesome giveaway HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shout out to a fellow Texas Teacher! Love your super cute blog! I hope you come by and add your blog to the Blogs I'm Lovin' tab at the top of my blog. I'm always lovin' Texas blogs :)
    Colleen
    Totally Terrific in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing a "why didn't I think of that" head slap. Great idea, and I love your blog! I am a new blogger and an old teacher (I have been teaching for 11 years,gosh I feel old)I am also in Texas. YeeHaw and have a great year!

    http://zantiisprekpad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to have found your blog. I'm getting ready to start on my write the room clipboards and I was going to modpodge an alphabet chart to the back. Never thought to use contact paper, thanks for sharing that tip.

    Your newest follower,
    Catherine
    Kinder Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contact paper is a much better idea than what I used to use -- clear packing tape! lol. I find myself saying, "Why didn't *I* think of that?!" when I read all these wonderful blogs, but I guess that's the beauty of blog-hopping. :)

    I like the idea of keeping clipboards in the writing center so that students can "write the room" easily. Other things I'd keep in there are colorful pens and markers (I'm of the mentality that I don't care what you write with, so long as you WRITE!), maybe some books for inspiration, and a word wall/sight word list/letter chart. One thing I love to do at the beginning of the year is let students decorate their writing folder with pictures. I let them make a huge collage of great memories so that when they say, "Mrs. K., I don't have anything to write about!" I can point to a picture on their writing folder and say, "Tell me about this." Works like a charm. :)

    ~Mrs. K. from The Teacher Garden Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you about getting excited for back to school with all the new supplies! It takes all I have in me to not buy everything now!! And just think, it will only get better! If you get a chance, stop by my blog for my giveaway. I am giving away 3 $10 gift certificates to TeachersPayTeachers for back to school. Good luck!

    Lauren C
    www.kinder-friends.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I love reading your blog, so I've nominated you for an award:

    http://readingwithmissd.blogspot.ca/2012/07/passing-along-awards-to-other-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your cute blog! I am your newest follower. I would love for you to come check out my blog when you get the chance!

    Jennifer
    The First Grade Dream
    Win an iPad for your classroom

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited that you shared about your clipboards! I have seen so many neat ideas and examples of using modge podge to spruce them up (with scrapbook paper). This would be so useful!! I have a class set of clipboards that we use for various activities on the carpet and they are looking a bit well-loved. I'm imagining an ABC chart, 100's chart, and maybe some of the other resources I put in our offices (back at our seats).
    FUN idea!!!
    Karen :o)
    Mrs. Stamp's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete